Historically antifreeze is one of the most common sources of pet poisonings. Its sweet flavor makes it very attractive to housepets and is lethal even in small doses. It was recently announced that the manufacturers of antifreeze will be adding a bittering agent to antifreeze products to make them less palatable to dog and cats.
Antifreeze is quite common. Its used in a variety of products and applications including windshield wiper fluid, radiator fluid/coolant, brake fluid, deicers, condensers, heat exchangers and winterizing products. One application that many people may not be aware of is portable basketball hoops. Now a frequent sight in driveways and neighborhoods everywhere, the bases of the basketball hoops are filled with water to weigh them down. In freezing climates, the manufacturers of the basketball hoops advise to add antifreeze to the base during the winter months to keep the water from freezing, expanding and cracking the base.
The danger lies in the commonness of these basketball hoops and people being unaware that they can be a potential source of antifreeze should the base be compromised.
More information on antifreeze toxicosis. Bottom line, if you think your pet has ingested antifreeze in any form, get to a veterinarian immediately.